mixtape 002


Well, it's officially been (over a) year since my last music post, and honestly, nothing has changed at all....

Last summer, I was in the middle of a post-grad quarter life crisis where I was apartment and job hunting — and to a degree, also searching for my long-lost sanity. Then, magic happened: I signed the lease to my dream central-AC/laundry-in-unit apartment in the millennial mecca of Williamsburg. I landed my first job, copywriting at a digital advertising agency and became a slave to Slack notifications and foreign adult concepts such as "401k plan" and "health insurance benefits". I somewhat found sanity, you could say. 

Along the way, I lost my iPhone twice (first, at the company holiday after-party in Brooklyn, and two weeks later, at a bar in Mission District in San Francisco on New Year's Eve), got laid off, lost a Fujifilm disposable camera in the back of an Uber in Mexico City, lost my favorite choker necklace somewhere in Austin (most likely at a beer garden), and now, I'm also splitting with my apartment due to "creative differences".

It's surreal how I'm in the same exact position as I was just one year ago. Back to square one. Back to wondering if all these recent events are due to the nature of ~cosmic timing~. I often romanticize the concept of "going with the flow", but at the same time, I'll admit that it is, well, a nightmare. Yet, at the end of the day, I still believe that what is meant to be, is meant to be. No, I don't know where I'll be living in a month's time, nor do I know where I'll be working, but I trust in fate to show its colors soon. Or at least, give me a hint? You have no idea how incredibly restless I am sitting at hipster coffee shops day-by-day freelance writing and sending my friends memes. I also once caught myself logging onto LinkedIn at 10 PM on a Thursday — yes, I have reached an all-time-low. Save me.

Anyway, here's a mix of very vibe-y tunes I've been listening to non-stop. Enjoy! 

T H E  P L A Y L I S T 

1. You Don't Have To Worry by Doris & Kelley ↬ for makeout sessions on a velvet couch in a Hermosa Beach basement in the year 1967
2. Fire In The Water by Pond ↬ for post-beach showers and the magic hybrid of coconut oil and Maui Babe tanning oil
3. Faith In Strangers by Andy Stott ↬ for riding the G train at rush hour next to an attractive Brooklynite whose cologne smells like flannel blankets and a 2007-era Abercrombie store 
4. já é verão by eeevee ↬ for Copacabana daydreams and Googling "how to pronounce caipirinha"
5. Call It Fate, Call It Karma by The Strokes ↬ for refreshing your email inbox 100,000 times, authoring infinite cover letters and resumes
6. Lonely Zone by Vansire ↬ for texting Your Crush at 12:27 AM, eternally waiting for the red symbol of instant gratification
7. Mio Amore by The Flamingos ↬ for ice slushies and tater tots at a Sonic drive-in somewhere in the desert 
8. Honey, Honey by Pierre Lalonde ↬ for cabernet sauvignon + camembert by the Seine, rummaging through 1 euro clothing bins in the Marais
9. Heartbroken In Love by Bones & Bleecker ↬ for your Big Summer '18 Mood (also tentatively known as 24/7 Mood)
10. The Spell of a Vanishing Loneliness by Cornelius ↬ for PTSD-flashbacks to the historic night you met a particular psych rock band at Mexico City dive bar 


*PS: collage was made from '67 issue of House & Garden, '90 issue of Celebrity Sleuth, '92 issue of ID, and '93 issue of Interview :)